Monday, January 07, 2008

Philadelphia and Dr. Who

Not that these two have anything in common that I know of, they are just linked in my thinking right now. I leave for Philadelphia, for the American Library Association's Midwinter conference, on Thursday. Although I'm looking forward to it, as I've never been to Philadelphia, I'm also making myself cold just thinking about it. Cold here is 20 degrees Farenheit -- maybe a little colder, but not much.

Dr Who: I bought series 1-3 of this television show about the last of the Time Lords for my husband for Christmas. Guess who spent all of her Christmas break watching the three seasons? That's right -- I did, accompanied by my daughter. Sometimes we even stayed up really late just to finish a disc. That's how much we enjoyed this series. I watch it on SciFi with my husband and liked it, but I'd missed almost all of series 3. The doctor gets a new companion, Martha, in that season, and I was attached to Rose. Series 3 turned out to be my favorite of all the seasons. Martha is a fitting companion for the Doctor and the story lines were inventive and fun. I liked visiting Shakespeare, and the episodes with the Master (played by John Simm from Life on Mars) were stunning. The visual effects on this series are better than the ones on the older Dr. Who series, but they still aren't great, which just goes to show, stellar writing can overcome mediocre special effects every time.

6 comments:

Hilda said...

Philadelphia! Fun! Will you have time to play? If so, I've read great things about the Pop Art exhibit, as well as the Alfred Stieglitz exhibit at the Philadelphia Museum of Art. Oh, and are you a Philly Cheesesteak kinda girl? I am a Pat's King of Steaks fan - with Cheeez Whiz, of course!

Have a wonderful time...:)

Kathy said...

Yes, I specifically built in playtime. When I used to go to Chicago all the time, I never did that and never got to see the city.

Kathy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Toni Lea Andrews said...

As a writer, I'd love to attend an ALA conference one of these days. Have fun!

Iamthebookworm said...

Hope you had fun at ALA!

Kathy said...

I had a great time -- Philadelphia was a lot of fun.