Monday, February 25, 2008

The Boy and the Library

My son just came into the library to get my extra iPod cable from me and "borrow" my debit card. He didn't look good; his eyes were tired looking and his hair was dirty. I asked him about it, and he "Doesn't want to talk about it." He's 22 and I know I should let it go, but it's hard, really hard, not to worry about your kids -- alleged adult or not. Then he says things like, "Why does it matter to you?" He doesn't get that it will ALWAYS matter to me. Always.

On a lighter note, why do patrons come into the library with their mp3 players, turn the music up so loud that I can hear it far far away from where they are and then just look astounded and offended when I tell them to turn it down? I should not be able to identify singer, album, and song from 50 feet away! Okay, not 50 feet, but still . . .

4 comments:

BabelBabe said...

i was the crotchety librarian who would go tell patrons to turn their headphone music down, too. nice to know it's not just me... : )

Kathy said...

I think I'm pretty understanding but geez! When they're so far away and I can still here it! Weren't they raised right?

Bybee said...

I have a 23 year old and hear the same sort of thing. Get a clue, kid. I'm the mom FOREVER.

Kathy said...

bybee: That's what I wanted to say. I did say, "'m your MOTHER!"