Friday, June 24, 2005

Book of the Month and Batman Begins

Even though I didn't read it this month, my favorite book in quite some time is Erik Larson's Devil in the White City. It chronicles two stories that took place in the same city (Chicago) at the same time: the building of the 1893 World's Fair and that of the murderer, H.H. Holmes --often considered to be the United States' first serial killer. I bought the book for the serial killer aspect of the story and found myself to be as interested in the construction of the World's Fair as I was in the murders. Larson pulls the reader into the efforts of the architects to find something that would be as big a draw to the Chicago fair as the Eiffel Tower was to the Paris fair -- what they ended up with was a surprise to me, as I didn't know it was built for a fair.

I'm going to see Batman Begins today. I hope it lives up to my expectations. I watched the trailer at the movie site and it looks good. Since I've been looking forward to this movie as much as I was looking forward to Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith, I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Sith was good but, in some ways that I can't put my finger on, it was also disappointing.

1 comment:

Dixie said...

I can't agree more. The Devil in the White city is absolutely fascinating. I picked it up because I'd read a book about the mass murderer H.H. Holmes and I wanted to see how his story would connect with the Chicago World's Fair. And while I got more insight to the character (or lack of) of H.H. Holmes, the other side of the story was just as interesting.

I can't recommend this book enough.