Sunday, November 06, 2005

More music

Sometimes there's just more music around than I can stand to let sit on the shelves. Here's some recent acquisitions:

Coldplay's X&Y: I bought this for the song Fix You, which I really like, but I'm also enjoying the rest of the cd, especially Twisted Logic. I read something somewhere that said this would be Coldplay's Joshua Tree. I doubt that; Joshua Tree is such an excellent cd that I don't like making the comparison between Coldplay and U2. Leaving out references to U2, I like X&Y on its own merits.

Fiona Apple: Extraordinary Machine: This is a peppy Fiona Apple cd. Yes, I know that's an oxymoron, but nevertheless Extraordinary Machine is peppy -- especially for Fiona Apple. And it's good -- which is not a surprise. There's been so much hype surrounding this release that I was worried it wouldn't live up to it, but it does. I haven't heard the version that was going around on the internet though, so I can't say whether this one is better or not.

Kem: Album II: I never listened to Kemistry, Kem's earlier cd, so I wasn't that familiar with him. I was browsing around and heard Find Your Way (Back in My Life) and loved it. There's more to love on this cd than that first song, however -- including I Can't Stop Loving You. I may eventually go back and get Kemistry.


Van Morrison: Magic Time: I've loved Van Morrison since Brown-Eyed Girl and Moondance (Moondance is probably still my favorite cd of his.) With Magic Time, it seems that the Van Morrision I've always loved is finally back with memorable songs and a smooth-sounding cd. Stranded was the song that hooked me, but Celtic New Year, Just Like Greta, and Gypsy in My Soul are also stand out cuts, as is the title song. Of course he can't resist taking swipes at the music industry with They Sold Me Out. I'm just glad he's back.

No comments: