Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Book meme

I took this from Lazy Cow's Only Books All the Time blog because like her I can never resist anything having to do with books (or music.) Just BOLD those you've read, ITALICIZE the ones you've been meaning to read and ??? the ones you have never heard of.

Alcott, Louisa May--Little Women
Allende, Isabel--The House of Spirits: I own it but haven't read it yet.
Angelou, Maya--I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings
Atwood, Margaret--Cat's Eye
Austen, Jane--Emma: I own it but haven't read it yet.
Bambara, Toni Cade--Salt Eaters??
Barnes, Djuna--Nightwood
Beauvoir, Simone--The Second Sex
Blume, Judy--Are You There God? It's Me Margaret
Burnett, Frances--The Secret Garden
Bronte, Charlotte--Jane Eyre
Bronte, Emily--Wuthering Heights
Buck Pearl S.--The Good Earth
Byatt, A.S.--Possession
Cather, Willa--My Antonia
Chopin, Kate--The Awakening
Christie, Agatha--Murder on the Orient Express -- I've never read an Agatha Christie book despite the fact that I really like mysteries. I've seen the movie.
Cisneros, Sandra--The House on Mango Street
Clinton, Hillary Rodham--Living History: I own it but haven't read it yet.
Cooper, Anna Julia--A Voice From the South??
Danticat, Edwidge--Breath, Eyes, Memory
Davis, Angela--Women, Culture, and Politics
Desai, Anita--Clear Light of Day??
Dickinson, Emily--Collected Poems
Duncan, Lois--I Know What You Did Last Summer
DuMaurier, Daphne--Rebecca: I've read about half of it -- I love the movie.
Eliot, George--Middlemarch
Emecheta, Buchi--Second Class Citizen??
Erdrich, Louise--Tracks
Esquivel, Laura--Like Water for Chocolate
Flagg, Fannie--Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe
Friedan, Betty--The Feminine Mystique
Frank, Anne--Diary of a Young Girl
Gilman, Charlotte Perkins--The Yellow Wallpaper -- this is one of my favorite stories of all time.
Gordimer, Nadine--July's People
Grafton, Sue--S is for Silence
Hamilton, Edith--Mythology: If you can only have one book on Greek and Roman mythology, this is the one.
Highsmith, Patricia--The Talented Mr. Ripley
hooks, bell--Bone Black
Hurston, Zora Neale--Dust Tracks on the Road
Jacobs, Harriet--Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl
Jackson, Helen Hunt--Ramona??
Jackson, Shirley--The Haunting of Hill House
Jong, Erica--Fear of Flying
Keene, Carolyn--The Nancy Drew Mysteries (any of them) -- most of them
Kidd, Sue Monk--The Secret Life of Bees
Kincaid, Jamaica--Lucy
Kingsolver, Barbara--The Poisonwood Bible
Kingston, Maxine Hong--The Woman Warrior
Larsen, Nella--Passing??
L'Engle, Madeleine--A Wrinkle in Time
Le Guin, Ursula K.--The Left Hand of Darkness: I own it but haven't read it yet.
Lee, Harper--To Kill a Mockingbird
Lessing, Doris--The Golden Notebook
Lively, Penelope--Moon Tiger??
Lorde, Audre--The Cancer Journals
Martin, Ann M.--The Babysitters Club Series (any of them)
McCullers, Carson--The Member of the Wedding
McMillan, Terry--Disappearing Acts.
Markandaya, Kamala--Nectar in a Sieve??
Marshall, Paule--Brown Girl, Brownstones??
Mitchell, Margaret--Gone with the Wind
Montgomery, Lucy--Anne of Green Gables
Morgan, Joan--When Chickenheads Come Home to Roos
Morrison, Toni--Song of Solomon: this is my favorite Toni Morrison along with The Bluest Eye.
Murasaki, Lady Shikibu--The Tale of Genji
Munro, Alice--Lives of Girls and Women
Murdoch, Iris--Severed Head
Naylor, Gloria--Mama Day
Niffenegger, Audrey--The Time Traveller's Wife
Oates, Joyce Carol--We Were the Mulvaneys: I own it but haven't read it yet.
O'Connor, Flannery--A Good Man is Hard to Find
Piercy, Marge--Woman on the Edge of Time
Picoult, Jodi--My Sister's Keeper
Plath, Sylvia--The Bell Jar: I put off reading this for a long time and it turned out to be just an amazing book.
Porter, Katharine Anne--Ship of Fools
Proulx, E. Annie--The Shipping News: I've started this 3 times but have never finished it.
Rand, Ayn--The Fountainhead
Ray, Rachel--365: No Repeats
Rhys, Jean--Wide Sargasso Sea
Robinson, Marilynne--Housekeeping
Rocha, Sharon--For Laci??
Sebold, Alice--The Lovely Bones: I don't know if I want to read this or not.
Shelley, Mary--Frankenstein
Smith, Betty--A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
Smith, Zadie--White Teeth: I own it but haven't read it yet.
Spark, Muriel--The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie
Spyri, Johanna--Heidi
Strout, Elizabeth--Amy and Isabelle
Steel, Danielle--The House: I never intentionally read Danielle Steele anymore.
Tan, Amy--The Joy Luck Club
Tannen, Deborah--You're Wearing That?
Ulrich, Laurel--A Midwife's Tale??
Urquhart, Jane--Away??
Walker, Alice--The Temple of My Familiar: I own it but haven't read it yet.
Welty, Eudora--One Writer's Beginnings
Wharton, Edith--Age of Innocence
Wilder, Laura Ingalls--Little House in the Big Woods
Wollstonecraft, Mary--A Vindication of the Rights of Women
Woolf, Virginia--A Room of One's Own

3 comments:

Kathy said...

Actually -- that's exactly what happened to me -- I'd read several books by some authors, just not the ones listed. For example, I've read several by Alice Walker, just not The Temple of My Familiar and why would a list have that instead of The Color Purple?

For a long time, I would ready Danielle Steele books because people kept telling me that I didn't like her because I was reading the wrong book. I finally decided that for me, any book of hers is the wrong book.

BabelBabe said...

Danielle Steele is the Cool Whip of the literary world.

Or maybe the Velveeta....

Kathy said...

I think Velveeta.