Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Booze, Libraries and Hurricane Katrina

Right off the top of my head, I wouldn't say that booze, libraries and Hurricane Katrina have much in common, but these two guys at Boozocracy connected the dots. This is an interesting way to make a difference in one community by helping to raise money to build a public library in Mid-City. I love New Orleans; I always have. Seeing it at ALA for the first time since Katrina was a shock to me -- the news sound bites make it seem as if the rebuilding of NOLA is proceeding apace but it's not. Not really. I want to see the city come back from the double disaster that was Katrina and Rita. As a librarian and an avid reader, I can't think of a better way to make a community come alive again than to build a new library.

No comments: