1. How old were you when you learned to read and who taught you? I was 4; my mom taught me. I don't remember NOT knowing how to read.
2. Did you own any books as a child? I owned many books -- Dr. Seuss, Harriet the Spy, From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler, the Borrowers books -- many books. Oddly, I don't have them anymore but I don't know what happened to them.
3. What’s the first book that you bought with your own money? I'm not sure. I think it was Jane Eyre. My parents always gave me money for books and my mother took me to the library every week.
4. Were you a re-reader as a child? If so, which book did you re-read most often? Oh, yes, I was a re-reader. I think it's a tie between Meet the Mob and Daybreak 2250 A.D. (also called Star Man's Son) by Andre Norton. I read each of these at least 20 times. My parents hated seeing me reading Meet the Mob all the time; they thought my interest in the Mafia was a bit strange. I also re-read Little Women at least 15 times and Jane Eyre.
5. What’s the first adult book that captured your interest and how old were you when you read it? It was Jane Eyre and I was probably 11 or 12. I was always fascinated by my dad's history book (he was in college when I was a kid) and I read it all the way through -- I thought it was just a bunch of stories. I think I was 7 or 8.
6. Are there children’s books that you passed by as a child that you have learned to love as an adult? Which ones? I never read either The Wind in the Willows or A Wrinkle in Time as a kid. I've read A Wrinkle in Time since and loved it but have yet to read The Wind in the Willows. I've also never read the Narnia books -- I've started The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe several times but can't seem to get past chapter one.
Early Friday Shuffle
Because I won't be in town or near a computer this weekend -- an early shuffle.
- Run Devil Run: Jenny Lewis and the Watson Twins from Rabbit Fur Coat
- Navigator: The Pogues from Rum, Sodomy and the Lash
- By Myself: Carly Simon from Clouds in My Coffee
- The Heart of the Matter: India.Arie from Testimony: Vol. 1, Life & Relationship
- I Am Not My Hair: India.Arie featuring Akon from Testimony: Vol. 1, Life & Relationship
- Ravens: Patti Smith from Gone Again
- One Love: Bob Marley from Legend
- Crazy People: The Wreckers from Stand Still, Look Pretty
- Fax Machine Anthem: Beck from Guero
- Around the Sun: R.E.M. from Around the Sun