Tuesday, February 06, 2007

February Books

I spent the early part of this morning browsing bookstores since this is my night to work. Here's what I came away with:
  1. Rubicon: The Last Years of the Roman Republic by Tom Holland. I'm really loving HBO's Rome right now, so I thought I'd read some history about that time period.
  2. Thunderstruck by Erik Larson: One of my favorite books is Larson's Devil in the White City where he tells two stories (architecture and a serial killer) that couldn't be more different. This is set up the same way, only here the stories are those of Marconi, who invented wireless communication, and Dr. H.H. Crippen, an English murderer. Hopefully, this book is a good follow-up to Devil.
  3. The Physics of the Buffyverse by Jennifer Ouellette. Buffy the Vampire Slayer is my favorite tv show ever -- Angel is number two. This book, though, was actually a purchase for my husband, the physicist, who is also a big fan of those shows. In any case, I might read it -- it looks interesting.
  4. Straight Man by Richard Russo: This books just sounds hysterical to me. I just finished Empire Falls which I liked so I thought I'd try this one.
  5. Living Dead in Dallas by Charlaine Harris: This is the second of the Southern Vampire Mystery series. I thought the first was funny, light reading so I thought I'd take this on the plane with me.
  6. Zorro by Isabel Allende: I always liked Zorro and this book was on sale for $5.00.

4 comments:

BabelBabe said...

My bad news is that SM is Russo's second weakest book, and if you read it, you don't need to bother with his short story collection. That said, it is very funny and I found the main character endearing if annoying.

BabelBabe said...

also, i have a friend whose boyfriend's surname is Crippen, and yes, he is related to the infamous... I made her buy him Thunderstruck for his birthday.

Kathy said...

What is this with me!? First I pick his weakest book, then I pick his second weakest? I liked the academia setting -- especially the English department stuff -- that's so familiar to me.

Kathy said...

The guy is related to Crippen? I don't know how that would make me feel; he NEEDED that book. I think I'm going to read Thunderstruck next.