Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Public Transportation

Why can't every town have good public transportation? When I was in Washington, D.C., I took the Metro everywhere that I couldn't walk. I loved it and the feeling of freedom it gave me; the not having to depend on anyone to get anywhere. That independence was also what I loved about the car my sister gave me last year. We'd been a one car family up until that point as we really couldn't afford two car payments.

Last weekend, I was in an accident -- I'm fine but the car was totaled. We will not be getting enough money to get a new car and I'm just sick at the thought of going back to being a one car family. This town does not have decent public transportation, and my daughter's school is near my husband's work, so he is the one who will always have the car. He acts like it's not a big deal but he's not the one who's losing his independence. Nor does he understand the importance of that independence -- he got his license at 16 like most people. I could not do the same -- I didn't get mine until I was 31. Some places I lived had good bus systems, so it wasn't a problem but most places did not and I was stuck. I had to depend on my husband to take me everywhere I wanted to go. When I would say something about hating this, he would say, "Ask me anytime and I'll take you." But every time I asked he said, "I don't feel like it right now. Can we do that later?" With good public transportation, it wouldn't matter what he felt like. I can, of course, always take the car myself when I need to go somewhere if it's not during the day. I hate this.

5 comments:

Marshamlow said...

We were a one car family for the four years we lived in Japan, they did have a pretty good bus system, but it was somewhat inconvenient with a baby/toddler. I totally agree that it would be so lovely to have good public transportation, especially since I have been spending so many hours every day in the car driving my kids around to their stuff. On a bus or a train, you can visit or read and it is good for the environment. The streets are so busy too, it seems like there are enough people on the road to make it cost effective. I just don't get why we don't have good public transportation.

lazy cow said...

Eeck, how awful, both the accident and having no car. I'd like to think I could get by without mine and be a one car family but I HATE public transport. Do you have a bike?

Iamthebookworm said...

I'm so glad that you are ok, but sorry about your car!

Kathy said...

No, lc, I've been thinking about buying one though because I don't live that far from work -- I can actually walk here if I leave really early. It's just so hot and it rains here a lot -- that's the reason why I miss the car so much.

sari said...

I'm glad you're ok. I'm sorry to hear about the car, that stinks. I would not be able to survive without a car as well - for much of the year it's just too hot here to walk anywhere.